NavIC is in news these days because of the phones getting released that supports it.
Let us understand what is NavIC?
- Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System.
- Developed by ISRO.
- Operational Name: Navigation with Indian Constellation.
- Phones with compatible chipsets will use NavIC as the first preference before using GPS.
- It is a regional navigational system. Only works 1,500 km (930 mi) around India.
- There are plans to expand the NavIC system by increasing its constellation size from 7 to 11
Benefits of NavIC
- GPS is not accurate (20m), NavIC will be super accurate (5-10m) because NavIC has dual frequency (S and L bands).
- Much faster than GPS
- Focussed for Indian region